UPDATED: January, 2021
CALIFORNIA CONSUMERS: If you are a California resident and wish to exercise your rights under the California Consumer Protection Act, click here.
Shu Uemura Commitment to Our Consumers
Everything we do, and the data we collect, is in pursuit of giving you a better beauty experience.
• With personalized products, services and offers
• We respect your privacy and choices. You can opt-out at any time
• We do not sell your data
• We require partners to abide by the law and protect your information
• We will continue to evolve and update our privacy and security practices because retaining your trust is important to us
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
L’Oreal collects information that you provide to us, from your engagement with our brand sites and platforms, advertising, media, and from third parties who have your consent to share it. For a list of categories of information, we collect please see How We Collect Information (USA) below.
WHY WE USE DATA
Everything we do, and the data we collect, is in pursuit of bringing beauty experiences to your life
We use data within the L’Oreal USA family of brands to communicate with you about our beauty products, services, answer questions and create better experiences. We use data for tailored advertising and communications.
We may combine information that we collect via one method (e.g., from a website, our digital advertising) with another method (e.g., an offline event). We do this to get a more complete view of your preferences for our beauty products and services, which, in turn, allows us to serve you better and with more customization and better beauty products. For a list of purposes for which we use information we collect, please see Why We Collect Data below.
HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
We share information with the third parties (vendors, agencies and businesses) that help us run our sites, our business, and retail our products to further L'Oréal's beauty mission. We do not sell your data. While we do not sell personal information, we may disclose to our service providers with controls such as prohibiting re-use or sale, to prevent fraud, when required by law or authorities, and in the event of a sale or reorganization of our company. For more information about how we share information, please see How We Share Information below.
You can unsubscribe from our sites at any time. You can also opt-out of interest-based advertising as well as SMS messaging, push notifications. For more information about your choices, please see Your Privacy Rights, Your Choices below.
How We Collect Information (USA)
L’Oreal collects information that you provide to us, information from your engagement with our Sites, advertising and media, and information from third parties who have gained your consent to share it. We may combine information that we collect via one method (e.g., from a website, digital advertising engagement) with another method (e.g., an offline event). We do this to get a more complete view of preferences for our beauty products and services, which, in turn, allows us to serve you better and with more customization and better beauty products.
Here are some examples of the categories of information we collect and how we may use it:
Categories of Personal Information
• Telephone number
• Mobile number
• Online identifiers
• Internet Protocol address
• E-mail address
• Social handle or moniker
• Device identifiers
• Credit or debit card information
Legally Protected Characteristics
• Products or services purchased, obtained, or considered
• Other purchasing or consuming histories
• Loyalty activity and redemption
• General location information
• Precise information about your location if you allow us to collect it
Audio Visual Information
• Photographs that you upload or share with us
• Call center recordings
Inferences drawn from any of these personal information categories
• Beauty and related preferences
• Behaviors on and off site
• Purchase patterns
Sources of Data
Personal Information You Provide
When you create an account on a L’Oreal site, make purchases with us (online or in-store), join a loyalty program, enter a contest, share photograph, video or product reviews, call our Consumer Care Center, sign up to receive offers or email, we collect the information that you provide to us. This information includes Personal Information (information that can be used to identify you as an individual) such as your name, social media handle, email, telephone number, home address, and payment information (such as account or credit card number). If you use a chat feature on our Sites, we collect the information you share during the interaction. We also collect information about your beauty preference, your use of our Sites, demographic, and interests so that we can customize your beauty experiences.
If you use one of our virtual try on features, we may collect and store your image(s), for example, if you use social sharing to send your image to a friend or post it online or if you save it to your profile.
You may also be able to register and log in to our Sites or chat features using your social media account, such as Facebook or Google. These platforms may ask your permission to share certain information with us (e.g. name, gender, profile picture) and all information is shared subject to their privacy policies. You can control the information that we receive by changing your privacy settings offered by the relevant social media platform.
Information We Automatically Collect
We collect some data automatically when you use our Sites. We may obtain information by automated means such as through cookies, pixels, web server logs, web beacons, and other technologies described below. Information collected via automated means include identifiers (e.g., IP address, device ID, cookie ID, mobile advertising identifier), internet or network activity (e.g., browsing and search history, interactions with our websites or applications).
These are the types of cookies we use on our website:
1. Essential Cookies. These cookies are essential for the website to function or provide access to features and functionality on the website. They are usually set in response to actions requesting services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in, or filling in forms. They also enable enhanced website functionality and personalization. These cookies (or similar technologies) are essential for the website to function, provide access to features and functionality on the website, and cannot be switched off. They are usually set in response to actions requesting services, such as setting your privacy preferences, logging in or filling in forms. These are also used in connection with website functionality, like web chat services, product recommendations, predictive sort, product search, and commenting and rating systems. Providers of these services may use their own analytics cookies (or similar technologies) to measure performance of these services. You may be able to use your browser's settings to block or alert you about these cookies, but some parts of the site may not work properly.
3. Marketing Cookies: These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners, who use this information to build a profile of your interests to show you relevant adverts (for us or other advertisers) on other sites or to other devices connected to you (cross-device advertising).
For more information about marketing cookies, please see “Interest-Based Advertising and Adchoices”, below. For information on managing cookies, please see “Choices”, below.
1. Device Identifiers: We and our third party service providers automatically may collect an IP address, mobile advertising identifier, or other unique identifier information ("Device Identifier") for the computer, mobile device, technology or other device (collectively, "Device") you use to access the Sites or on third party websites that publish our advertising. A Device Identifier is a number that is automatically assigned to your Device when you access a web site or its servers, and our computers identify your Device by its Device Identifier. For mobile devices, a Device Identifier is a unique string of numbers and letters stored on your mobile device that identifies it. We may use a Device Identifier to, among other things, administer the Sites, help diagnose problems with our servers, analyze trends, track users’ web page movements, help identify you and your shopping cart, deliver advertising and gather broad demographic information. Most mobile devices will allow you to turn off sharing or reset a Device Identifier.
2. Mobile Services/Apps: Certain of our mobile apps and tools offer opt–in, geo–location services and push notifications. Geo-location services provide location–based content and services, such as store locators, local weather, promotional offers and other personalized content. Push notifications can include discounts, reminders or details about local events or promotions. Most mobile devices allow you to turn off location services or push notifications. If you consent to location services, we will collect information about the Wi–fi routers closest to you and the cell IDs of the towers closest to you to provide location–based content and services.
3. In-Store Analytics: We may use certain in-store wireless services (such as Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth beacons) to automatically collect information about visitors to our stores. Our Wi-Fi routers capture certain data from mobile devices that interact with the router, including information about your mobile device (such as a MAC Address and signal strength data). Bluetooth beacons are small devices that broadcast a Bluetooth signal to map nearby Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices. We may use the data collected from these in-stores wireless services to provide operational insights such as foot traffic volumes and how customers move through our stores.
4. Pixels: In some of our email messages, we use click through URLs that will bring you to content on our sites. We also use pixel tags to understand whether our emails are read or opened. We use learning from this information to improve our messages, reduce frequency of messages to you or determine interest in content we share.
Information from Third Parties: We receive information from third party partners, such as publishers that run our advertising, and retailers who feature our products. This information includes marketing and demographic data, analytics information, and offline records. We may also receive information from other companies that collect or aggregate information from publicly available databases or if you consented to allow them to use and share your information. This might be de-identified information about purchasing patterns, location of shoppers and sites that are of interest to our consumers. We also collect information about users who share common interests or attributes (e.g. color treated hair) to create user “segments,” which help us to better understand and market to our customers. We may use your data as part of health-related segments about non-sensitive conditions such as dry skin.
Why We Collect Information?
Everything we do, and the data we collect, is in pursuit of bringing beauty to your life.
We use information for beauty to provide better products, services, customization and offers from L’Oreal USA brands. For example, we use information to:
• provide tailored content, services, advertisements and offers
• respond to questions and providing news, emails/communication from us
• administer and manage your account or loyalty program membership
• verify your identity and prevent fraud
• fulfill product purchases and processing payments
• contact you, send notice of changes to a L’Oréal USA policy
• analyzing use of our products and services to improve effectiveness of our Sites, stores, customer service, and product offerings
• develop new products and services
• conduct research and analytics
• allow log in, sharing and use of our content with a social media account
• provide shipping and other rewards from your selected third-party providers (such as ShopRunner)
• post your content and consumer reviews on the Sites, our social media pages and related third party sites that retail or feature our brands and products
• maintain the security of our products, services, and systems
• protect our rights, property, and safety or the rights, property, and safety of others
• for corporate governance, including mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures
How We Share Information
We will not sell your Personal Information to third parties:
Third Parties Providing Services On Our Behalf:
We share information with third party service providers fulfilling the above purposes on our behalf, including service providers that host or assist with technical operation of our Sites; information technology vendors that provide information technology services; analytics and research vendors; fraud prevention, legal, compliance, and risk management vendors; order processing fulfillment vendors who process orders, transactions and payments, provide customer service, loyalty program administration, and redemption services; marketing and advertising vendors, social media, or other third parties that participate in or administer our promotions, contests, sweepstakes, surveys or provide marketing or promotional assistance. We may also share information with third parties to help us identify your online preferences, including the ads with which you interact. This data may be matched with information that we process about you to provide a better experience using our websites and products. These third parties are not permitted to use Personal Information for their own independent marketing or business purposes. We may also share non-identifying information, such as aggregate statistics or usage information, with third parties.
Categories of Information shared include identifiers, internet or network activity, geolocation data, purchasing information, protected classifications, professional or employment-related information, audio-visual information, geolocation information, payment information, and inferences generated from the foregoing categories of information.
Your Agreement To Have Your Personal Information Shared:
We share information with other entities and affiliates of the L’Oréal Group, our parent company. As we continue to develop our business, we may sell or purchase assets. If another entity acquires us or our assets, or assets related to the Sites, Personal Information and any other information that we have collected may be disclosed to such entity as one of the transferred assets. Also, if any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding is brought by or against us, all such information may be considered an asset of ours and as such may be sold or transferred to third parties.
Your Privacy Rights, Your Choices
You may change your preferences and unsubscribe from email services from our brands by: (i) modifying your registered user information on the Sites; (ii) sending us an e–mail to the email address listed in Contact Us located at the end of this notice or (iii) following the unsubscribe instructions in the communication that you receive.
In accordance with our routine record keeping, we may delete certain records that contain Personal Information you have submitted through the Sites. We are under no obligation to store such Personal Information indefinitely and disclaim any liability arising out of, or related to, the destruction of such Personal Information. In addition, you should be aware that it is not always possible to completely remove or delete all of your information from our databases without some residual data because of backups and other reasons.
We will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services and as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your Personal Information to provide you services, contact us via one of the methods listed in Contact Us located at the end of this Privacy Notice. We do not control certain privacy settings and preferences maintained by our social media partners like Facebook and Twitter. If you wish to make changes to those settings and preferences, you may do so by visiting the settings page of the appropriate social media site.
You may at any time opt out from push notifications and allowing L’Oréal USA to access location data by adjusting the permissions in your mobile device. You can stop all further collection of information by our mobile applications by uninstalling the mobile application. Please note that if you uninstall the mobile application from your mobile device, the unique identifier associated with your mobile device will continue to be stored. If you re-install the application on the same mobile device, we will be able to re-associate this identifier to your previous transactions and activities.
COOKIES; INTEREST-BASED ADVERTISING AND ADCHOICES
If you would prefer not to accept cookies, you can manage your cookie preferences by clicking on the “Cookie Settings” button located on the bottom of the website homepage. You cannot disable essential cookies. We use certain analytics services, such as Google Analytics, to gather information about our site visits or mobile app usage. To learn more about Google Analytics, including opting out of Google Analytics, click here.
You can also change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; or set your browser to automatically reject any cookies. However, please be aware that some features and services on our Sites may not work properly because we may not be able to recognize and associate you with your account. In addition, the offers we provide when you visit us may not be as relevant to you or tailored to your interests. To learn more about cookies, please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
We use third party companies to serve advertisements, measure the performance and engagement with our ads, provide analytic, preference, and interest information. In some instances, these ad network providers, social platforms, sponsors, and/or analytics service providers may use their own tracking technology to capture information about your device, use and engagement online.
We may recognize your information across different devices that you use or log in from (i.e. computers or mobile devices.) We may recognize that one cookie ID (i.e. from a computer) may be connected to another device (i.e. smart phone) by the device ID or log in. This may result in you searching for one of our products on one device but seeing an ad later for that product on another device. By knowing what devices are being used by a person or household helps us limit the number of times you may see the same ad across different devices. We may also combine information we collect from your devices with other information we have about you, such as your account information, services, transaction history, and interaction with our sites.
You can opt out of receiving targeted advertising through the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) Opt–Out Page. Options are Device-specific, so if you use multiple Devices, you should opt out on each one. You can also opt out of certain targeted advertising programs by clicking on the AdChoices icon that appears on our Site footers and may appear on our advertising. Even if you opt-out of targeted advertising, you may still see our advertisements while you are browsing, but they may not be targeted to you based on your interests.
Some social networks (i.e. Facebook), allow you to exercise ad choices, limit data collection and clear your history on that platform as well. For your convenience we have provided the links to some of the social networks:
TEXT/SMS MESSAGE CONSENT AND OPT-OUT
If you choose, you can provide your mobile phone number to receive text message alerts from our stores or sites to receive product and/or event information, tips or promotions. You agree that by providing your mobile phone number you expressly consent to receive automated marketing text messages from us to the mobile phone number provided. Consent is not required to purchase goods or services. Message and data rates will apply, and you should check the rates of your mobile carrier. You can opt out from further text marketing communications by texting STOP to the SMS number used by L’Oréal USA to contact you.
We may share your mobile phone number with service providers with whom we contract to assist us with the above activities, but we will not share your mobile phone number with third parties for their own marketing purposes without your consent. Text Messages are distributed via third party mobile network providers and, therefore, we cannot control certain factors relating to message delivery. Depending on the recipient's mobile carrier, it may not be possible to transmit the text message to the recipient successfully; nor is content available on all carriers. We do not claim or guarantee availability or performance of this service, including liability for transmission delays or message failures.
YOUR CALIFORNIA RIGHTS:
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) provides California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your rights and how you can submit your request to us. We do not sell personal information.
Access to Information
You have the right to request that we disclose information about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months, including:
• Categories of personal information we collected
• Categories of sources for the personal information we collected
• Our business purpose for collecting personal information
• The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information
• The specific personal information we collected about you
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny a deletion request where retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers. For example, data may need to be kept to:
1. Complete a sales transaction for which we collected the personal information (such as the sale of our beauty products to you)
2. Track consumer complaints or product issues
3. Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity
4. Comply with a legal obligation
5. Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us
Submitting a Request
Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a request related to your personal information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
The verifiable consumer request must:
• Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative of a California resident who wishes to make a request.
We may not be able to respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will ask you for the email information that you used to interact with us or sign up for a loyalty, email or to make purchases, along with other information you submit (such as contact information like name, address, phone number) and the information we have in our systems, to help verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm that your information is in our system. Information provided to submit a request will only be used for request purposes.
You may designate an agent to submit requests on your behalf. We will need the agent to provide us with your signed permission to act on your behalf. We may also require you to verify your identity with us directly and confirm that you provided the agent permission to submit the request on your behalf.
We will endeavor to respond to a verified consumer request within 45 days. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension in writing.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to a verified consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will provide explanation and a cost estimate prior to completing the request.
You may only make a request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights.
Rewards Offers/Programs Calculation
We may offer incentives, such as a coupon, discount on purchase, or loyalty points, in exchange for personal information (e.g. email sign-up). We generally do not assign monetary or other value to personal information. If, however, we are required by law to assign such value, we have valued the personal information collected and used as based, in part, on the value of consumer trail of new products and sharing future offers tailored to your interest with competitive value. The value is a practical and good-faith effort often involving the (i) categories of personal information collected (e.g., names, email addresses), (ii) the transferability of such personal information for us, (iii) the discounted price offered, (iv) the volume of consumers enrolled in our programs, and (v) the product or service to which the programs, or price or service differences, applies. The disclosure of the value described herein is not intended to waive, nor should be interpreted as a waiver to, our proprietary or business confidential information, including trade secrets, and does not constitute any representation with regard to generally accepted accounting principles or financial accounting standards.
To submit your request, click here.
Under the laws of several states, Website and online service operators are required to disclose how they respond to web browser “do not track” signals. L’Oreal USA does not currently take actions to respond to Do Not Track signals as a uniform standard for such response has not yet been established.
Website and online service operators in several states are required to disclose whether third parties may collect personal information about their users’ online activities over time and across different sites when the users use the operator’s website or service. Third parties that have content or services on our Sites such as a social feature, analytics service, or an advertising network partner, may obtain information about your browsing or usage habits.
If you are a minor under 18 and have a profile on a L’Oréal USA Site, you may ask us to remove reviews or other content that you posted on the site by writing to us at the address listed at the end of this notice and providing as much detail as possible (i.e. date and caption) as to the post(s) you want removed. Please note that processing your request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of content that you posted.
L’Oreal USA’s sites are not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect, use or disclose personally identifiable information from anyone under 13 years of age. If we determine upon collection that a user is under this age, we will not use or maintain his/her Personal Information without the parent/guardian's consent. If we become aware that we have unknowingly collected personally identifiable information from a child under the age of 13, we will make reasonable efforts to delete such information from our records. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under age 13, please contact us through one of the methods listed in the Contact Us section at the end of this notice.
Minors between 13 years of age and the age of majority in their state must ask their parent or guardian for permission to use any L’Oréal USA properties. For L’Oréal USA brands offering e-commerce, you may only make purchases if you are 18 years of age or older, or the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence.
We strongly recommend that minors 13 years of age or older ask their parents for permission before sending any information about themselves to anyone over the Internet and we encourage parents to teach their children about safe internet use practices.
SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION
L’Oréal USA maintains reasonable safeguards to protect Personal Information against loss, unauthorized use, disclosure or destruction and when transferring information for processing and requires third parties providing services on our behalf to do the same. However, no electronic data transmission or storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please note that we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us.
The Sites may contain links to third party sites that are not owned or operated by L’Oreal USA. This includes links from advertisers, sponsors and/or partners that may use our logo(s) as part of a co–branding or co–marketing agreement. We do not control, recommend or endorse and are not responsible for these sites or their content, products, services or privacy policies or practices. These other sites may send their own cookies or other tracking technologies to your device, they may independently collect data or solicit Personal Information and may or may not have their own published privacy policies. You should also independently assess the authenticity of any site which appears or claims that it is one of our Sites (including those linked to through an email or social networking page). The Sites may make available chat rooms, forums, message boards, and news groups. Remember that any information that you disclose in these areas becomes public information and is not subject to the provisions of this Privacy and Cookie Notice.
CONSENT TO PROCESSING OF INFORMATION IN THE UNITED STATES AND OTHER JURISDICTIONS
The Sites are governed by and operated in, and in accordance with the laws of, the United States, and are intended for the enjoyment of residents of the United States. Country or region-specific web sites are available for L’Oréal brands and products around the world. L’Oreal makes no representation that the Sites are governed by or operated in accordance with the laws of any other nation. Given that we are an international business, our use of your information necessarily involves the transmission of data on an international basis. If you are located in the European Union, Canada or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect may be transferred to and processed in the United States. By using the Sites, or providing us with any information, you (a) acknowledge that the Sites are subject to the laws of the United States, (b) consent to the collection, processing, maintenance and transfer of such information in and to the United States and other applicable territories in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as or equivalent to those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen, and (c) waive any claims that may arise under those laws.
CHANGES AND POLICY UPDATES
If you have any questions about Privacy, please contact us at:
Shu Uemura USA Customer Care
1500 Robert-Bourassa, Suite 600
Montreal, QC, Canada
Re: shuuemura-usa.com Privacy and Cookie Notice
Or send us an e–mail with your request here.
UPDATED: January 1, 2021
Monday to Thursday from 9AM to 5PM (EST)